CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

This makes me sad

I have a friend. A very dear friend whom I have known for many years. This very dear friend of mine is a Christian. This very dear friend of mine hates Christmas. Not only Christmas but this entire holiday season. You see, this friend of mine grew up with parents who were divorced, like me, and, for her, the holidays were about getting passed around from one family to the other and eating more holiday dinners than one person could possibly digest. This friend also has a step-mother who's Christmas focus seems to be purely about the gift giving and this upsets my friend, understandably as that is not what the holiday is really all about.
All that is sad. But, what really makes me sad is that this dear friend of mine doesn't seem to want to get over her dislike for the holidays. She is now out of the situation where she must continue to have the same holiday experiences she had growing up but, she is not over her feelings of dislike for this time of year. I guess it's because it's only her second Christmas away and she has not had enough time to get past it yet. I feel sad for her that she is not able, or maybe not willing yet, to just enjoy the reason for the holiday and celebrate. There is such joy in celebrating the birth of our Savior with friends and family, people that you love. There is such joy using this time to show the people you love how special they are to you and sharing our love for Jesus with each other. I am so sad for her that she is missing out on that joy. I pray that this year she will start to experience it and maybe begin to enjoy her self just a little bit. I wish that there was something that I could do to help her but, I have tried and nothing has worked, she still feels miserable and insists she doesn't like it. I will pray for her.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your friend. Sometimes it is hard to let go. We hold on tightly to our pains and disappointments, as though they are our best buds. If we let go, we no longer can blame others and our circumstances for our attitudes and decisions. I hope your friend can focus on Jesus and not self this holiday season.