CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 25, 2006

What can I say?

After receiving shocking news yesterday, I spent the morning reading all the blogs that I could find that were written by people from my church. I found myself with an intense desire to connect with other people and find out what their thoughts and feelings are. The result? I find myself feeling incredibly blessed to be a member of such an amazing church family. The grace and love illustrated in those blogs that I found and read was overwhelming.

I don't know what I could possibly say that would encourage others the way that I have been encouraged by others; yet, I feel myself driven to start one of these crazy blog things of my own. Maybe all this will do is help me to get to know these people and help them to get to know me. If that is all I get from writing, that would be worth it.

What happened yesterday was shocking and heartbreaking. I find myself unable to stop dwelling on it. I get distracted by something the kids say or do, only to get stuck right back with thoughts of yesterday's news. Maybe writing about it will help me close that door, if just for a little while. But, I just don't know what to say.

I feel such a great hurt for the family, for EVERYBODY in the family. I feel such a longing to DO something. What? I have no idea. What could I possibly do that would be worth anything to them? Nothing. They don't even know me. All I can do is pray for them. And that is what I will do. I will pray for their healing. I will pray for the healing of our amazing church family. I will pray that people will have forgiving spirits and that they will choose to support the healing of everyone involved. I will pray for the good that the Lord will bring out of this.

I feel a great sense of loss. I was supposed to experience the legendary teaching of a wise woman in a class about mothering this fall. I feel robbed of her ministry. I am comforted in the knowledge that there are still other women with wisdom to share with us. Yet, my emotions are still screaming "It's not fair!" It's not fair to lose the opportunity to learn from such a great teacher either. I am feeling very selfish in that. How.....human of me, I suppose.

I am a bit scared as well. I don't particularly like change. A big change like this is scary. What will happen next? How will the people of our church react? People have told me to expect a drop of at least 50%. That is scary because my job depends on people coming to church as well as the giving of those people. But, besides my job security, I love those people, and their kids, who I care for and I don't want to lose their presence in my life. Once again, I am being selfish.

There is a man out there. I wonder what he is feeling? I wonder what he is thinking? I wish I could embrace him and tell him that it will be okay. Somehow it will be okay. I wish I could tell him that he has my support, not my judgement. That he has my love, not my anger. That he has my understanding, not my criticism.

There is a woman out there. I wonder how she is feeling right now. How will she begin the healing? I wish I could embrace her and tell her that I understand. That she has my support and love. I am in awe of her strength....to sit through all four services yesterday. Truely amazing. I wish to thank her for her show of support at a time when she was in such great need of support for herself.

What can I say? What can I do? I don't know. I don't know.

We are all human. We are all fallen. We are all sinners.
How wonderful is it that there is a God who is always forgiving and will always love us?
It is beyond comprehension.


11 comments:

Kathy said...

I found your link on Mike's blog comments. Hope you don't mind a comment by someone you don't know. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. It is all of these things you listed. I'm still in the shock of it all.

You know, don't you, that once you start one of these things, you will need to keep it up. A great way to share what God is doing....indeed.

Schweers' Mom said...

Great thoughts, Stephanie. Welcome to the blogging world of therapy! After a year plus of my husband's unemployment, I truly know that job security doesn't exist. What does exist is a loving God who met our needs on a daily basis. Keep writing!

Pony and Petey said...

Thanks for blogging...it has helped me to read your thoughts and feelings and identify with them. You have brought me comfort.

Unknown said...

Hello Stephanie. I'm Laura. Nice to meet you. Yes, it seems a good many of us went blogging for the first time today. Not to gossip. To embrace. To understand. To express what seems inexpressible. I appreciated your thoughts, Stephanie. Support not judgement. Love not anger. Understanding not criticism. Absolutely. I'm with you. And, just so you know, I won't be going anywhere. I will not pass by on the other side of the street (Mike Messerli's recent sermon seems. I'm staying to support my church family.

Joye said...

I usually average about 50 page views on my blog each day. Today I had over 300. I saw on Brent's that he had over 400 visitors. Mike doesn't have a counter on his blog, but has had more comments than ever. And e-mails. And phone calls. We've all had a need to connect with other CBCers today. Blogging is a wonderful way of encouraging one another. I'm looking forward to following your blog, Stephanie. Thank you for giving voice to the thoughts and feelings of your Crossroads brothers and sisters.

stephanie said...

Thank you all for your encouraging comments!

stephanie said...

laura,
i want you to know that we aren't going anywhere either. my family wants to do anything we can to aid in the healing process. we love this church and all the people that we have gotten to know in it.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me; I too am one of the mourners. But my love for The Two and our church is so strong that I will be there for my CBC family. There will still be tears, but I know that this is where I need to be. SM

Laura said...

Hi Stephanie,

I understand the need to connect too. I grew up in CBC, under the teaching, with a strong support system. I live 3 hours away, and I've talked to most of my high school friends who are mourning from their respective new homes. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I needed to read them today.

p.s. my parents are still around, and very committed to the work of the Church. We serve a big God, and He will provide.

dorz11 said...

Well said, this summarizes the things my wife and I have been feeling as well. We just want to connect, help, do something...

I wonder if Tim's study of Philipians is something he was trying to tell us. I hope maybe one of the other pastors explores this.

Jim

Teya said...

What happened 'yesterday'?