CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Just Boys Being Boys?

I did not have any brothers. Just the two sisters and me. We only had one boy cousin who lived close by when we were growing up. The result of this is that I don't really know a whole lot about little boys. I have been learning about them as my two boys grow up. Fortunately for them, they have their dad around to guide them in the ways of being a boy.
So, in not knowing much about little boys I often wonder if the things that these boys do are just normal little boy things or if they are unique to my little guys. One of those things that has been just driving me nuts these last few weeks, or so, is their apparent innate need to destroy things. Maybe there are mothers all over who are struggling with the same issue. Maybe I just have two destructive little boys who need to learn a lesson about taking care of things. Oh my goodness it drives me nuts!
It is not uncommon for us to be walking through the house or even through a store and boy number one will go out of his way to step on something on the floor. If boy number two is actually walking he will follow suit. There have been a number of toys broken by little hands and feet. There have been a number of things broken from being thrown or run over or whatever method they come up with at the time.
As I watch boy number one go out of his way to be destructive in some way shape or form and boy number two follow suit, I wince and wonder, "is this actually normal?"

2 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

My brother seemed to destroy things, but it was usually because he was taking it apart to see how it worked. Inquisitive minds need to know... My boys have never been very destructive. I think I might have been more destructive as a girl than they have been as boys. Maybe mine are not normal...(hmmm) You need to read Dobson's book, "Bringing up Boys." It really was good and an eye-opener for those of us who really don't have a lot of experience with boys.

Anonymous said...

Hey we've been dealing with some of this too from Seth... He was never like this until recently, always took very good care of his toys!! Now he rips up the boxes to puzzles or the instructions to things! I'm glad to hear you say you are dealing with the same things.. It's very frustrating!!!

Marilee