CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Back to the Real World

Well, we have been home for 3 whole days now. I am still disappointed that our flight made it out Sunday evening. The husband and I had such a fantastic time. I can't even decide what my favorite part of our little mini-vacation was. Was it the just the time alone with the husband? The cold weather? The snow? The hockey game? The snowy walk down to the river? The fantastic food? I think experiencing all these things with the husband is the winner.
Our trip started off wonderful and never stopped. It was bit hard leaving the baby behind and not knowing how she was going to handle it but, as the plane took off I said a little prayer and felt the weight of worry leave me and the excitement of the trip settle in.
The flight was uneventful and felt short. I was extremely tired and tried to sleep but, as always, was unable to sleep on the plane. I did enjoy some uninterupted reading, though. When we got to Des Moines we found ourselves sharing the shuttle to the hotel with some scouts who work for the Dallas Stars and a hockey player who I think was on his way to play for the Iowa Stars. That was pretty fun. We ended up at the wrong hotel but, the 3 block walk to the correct one was worth it.
Lunch Friday afternoon was at a brewery which I can't remember the name of. The food was absolutely wonderful, the waiter was very good, and the private tour of the brewery was very interesting. I did learn that there is probably not a single beer on this planet that I will like, though. Overall it was a very interesting, educational, and pleasant lunch. A good way to spend our first afternoon in Des Moines.
I won't bore you all with a detailed description of the whole trip. Here are a few of my favorite highlights, though:
-lunch at the brewery
-taking a guilt free nap
-hockey game number one
-walking out in the cold
-drinking mint mochas from Java Joes
-waking up to snow on Saturday
-sitting on the glass for hockey game number two
-walking in the snow
-the yummiest tuna melt in the world for lunch on Sunday
-all that time to spend with husband

Due to the weather in Dallas our noon flight was cancelled on Sunday so, we got to spend a little extra time together. That was a nice suprise. As the snow began to fall in Des Moines Sunday afternoon we hoped that our 6 o'clock flight would be cancelled as well but, no such luck. We ended up being the last flight out. It was a long and bumpy flight but, we made it back to Dallas safely. I don't think we were gone long enough, though because the kiddos hardly noticed our return. Well, except for the baby. She began to cry accusingly almost as soon as she saw us. I hear that she was just fine all weekend, though. Pappy's little girl the whole time.
It was a fantastic weekend and we will have to do it again.
Now we have gotten back into our routine of no real routine. Back to work and back to parenting.

5 comments:

Tina said...

So happy to hear you had a good trip! That sounds so nice! :) Hope to see you tonight.

From Carlys Eyes said...

Sounds like you had an amazing time. Nathan and I are hoping to take a trip sometime in the next year. I was thinking the beach for a weekend once I loose another 20 pounds. We really havnt had a trip alone since our honeymoon.

Schweers' Mom said...

A guilt-free nap! Sounds wonderful! I'm glad you got to go and enjoy some "couple time." Yay for family babysitters.

stephanie said...

the beach sounds so nice! i love the beach. although, playing in the snow was a fantastic way for me to spend a vacation! :) i hope you and nathan make it out on some sort of vacation in the next year.

Joye said...

I'm so glad your trip went well. Parents of wee ones need that so badly, to get away for a bit and just have time to nap and take a breath. Yay for you!!!