CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Quiet! Is it really possible?

Seriously, is it really possible to have the house quiet during naptime? Am I asking too much? Are my expectations too high?

Here's the situation. Kiddos #1 and #2 no longer take a nap during the day. Kiddo #2 really still needs one but, he has figured out how to keep himself awake so it's just not worth the battle anymore. Kiddos #3 and #4 still really need a nap. Naptime is at about the same time everyday. I give plenty of warnings and plan for what we will do while the little ones are napping. The time comes and the little ones go to bed, it's a pretty easy process at this point, not much of a battle to get them down. Then the problems start.
I try to do school time during naptime because it's easier for the older two to concentrate on their studies when the two little ones are not there bugging them. It seems to me that it should be fairly easy to be nice and quiet while we work. We move to the back of the house where the playroom is and close the doors behind us creating a sound buffer. Should be nice and quiet for the sleeping ones, right? Yet, it never fails kiddo #2 ALWAYS wakes his brother and sister before they are ready. EVERY day. He also wakes them up in the mornings if he gets up before them. He just CANNOT be quiet.
WHY!? Why can't he manage to keep quiet for just a short time? How can I teach him to be quiet? How can I make this important to him? Is it just not possible? Should I give up the fight?
You would think that a kid who has a father who worked nights and slept days all of his life would understand about being quiet while someone is sleeping. No, sir! Not a chance! He yells, he bangs things around, he slams doors, he runs through the house, etc, etc, etc.
I made him stay back in the playroom today because he just would not calm down. I told him that he could only come out if he had to potty, until the little ones woke up. He still managed to wake them up. Now, I have two tired and grouchy little ones and I am tired and grouchy. GROWL!

He's such a sweet kid. He has a lot of energy and gets excited about so many things. He is a joy to be around, most of the time. I just wish he could be quiet for an hour or two in the afternoon!

4 comments:

Tina said...

I ask myself the same question all the time. Owen doesnt know how to be quiet either and always seems to want to shout at just the wrong times... like when he's standing right next to sister who's sleeping quietly in her carseat or bed. Boys are boys... what can we do? If you figure it out, let me know! :)

GramCrackers said...

The short answer is 'no.' The long answer is '@%@$#$% no.' Hahahaha! He just takes after his dad. Sorry you have to pay for it!

GramCrackers said...

P.S.

Tell TSP I'm ready for Day Two installment!

stephanie said...

gram, i am ready for day 2 as well, he needs to get on that! :)

tina, still no answers! yet, we made it through naptime once in the last week....still not sure how we did it that time. :)