CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I Need A Friend

I never really thought of myself as a person who is in need of social interaction. There are those out there in the world who just have a need to be around other people, doing the social thing. I have always been a quiet person in need of my "alone" time. Maybe it's because I grew up with two sisters who did not like me very much and preferred activities that included just the two of them so, I have been trained to appreciate time on my own. Maybe there's no real reason for it and that's just the way I am. Now, don't get me wrong. I do enjoy spending time with people and socializing. I just never really felt like it was a priority in my life. I always had friends growing up, though. Friends that I could call and chat with, or go to the movies with, or whatever crazy thing we could come up with. Lately though, I find myself lacking in friends. It has been a pretty lonely time.
About a year ago a friend of mine moved down here from Idaho. I was so excited to have her here. To have somebody close by whom I have known since first grade. Somebody to talk to and do things with. I have since learned that the paths of our lives are going in completely different directions and don't cross very often anymore. She is still single and I am married with four kids.....not a lot in common right now. Not the same priorities either.
I do have my husband. We are very close. He is truely my very best friend in the world. I am very grateful for him. Where's the "but", you ask. He's a guy. There is a difference there. He is also a home-body. He would rather hang out at home most days and I would rather get out, especially since I spend so much time here.
There are the women that I work with. There are many of them that I like very much. It's a joy to work with them. Not much has developed outside of work, though.
Honestly, I am just no good at this whole making friends thing. I often wonder what's wrong with me. How come I don't know how to make friends? I am not entirely sure but, I think I am a relatively nice and likable person. There is something lacking, though. Where have my social skills gone? Did I ever actually have any? Maybe it's just this stage in life....four small children take up a lot of time. Well, it's a pretty lonely stage right now.
I have learned of a mini-church that a lady I met through working at the church runs with her husband. I like this lady very much and our kids get along very well so, I am really excited to go and check out this mini-church and I really hope that my family fits in and we can do something about this friend situation. Unfortunately they meet on the same day my husband has his mission meetings so, we cannot go together until the mission is over. Maybe I should go without him? I have been considering it.
Anyway, enough of my whining. I hope that this new year brings new friends with it. :)

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Every season of life has its own icky part and this is one of them. I remember when my kiddos were young. My day revolved around them and friends (real friends) were few and far between. I felt very lonely. I did find ways like you to find friends at mini-church or bible study or sunday school..... In fact, it became my project during some years. I also think, what you are feeling is what many folks are struggling with as well. Feeling unconnected with other people in a meaningful way. I think our culture has made it be increasingly hard to find a friend and be a friend to others. In the meantime, I'm praying for you!

Joye said...

Definitely try going to the minichurch without your husband. Then he can go with you when he returns from the mission trip.

Tina said...

Definitely part of our stage. I'm very much in the same boat, especially after moving away from all the friends I had finally made in Flower Mound. I've been blessed with a couple of women in my neighborhood who have little ones and are also looking for friends, but it's so hard to find the time to get together with them, even with the kids. It's especially hard for me since I work and therefore, can't go to playgroup or do the other mommy things to make mommy friends, but I'll keep trying. Definitely check out minichurches. That's where all my friends on that side of town have come from. :) I'm also the quiet not real outgoing type, so I completely understand how hard it can be...

Tina said...

One more thing... :) If you can get away from the kids for a few hours, the ladies from our old minichurch get together the 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month for Bible study at Starbucks. If you ever want to go, let me know and I'll make sure to make it the same day! I miss a lot now due to the long drive and little baby, but I love going when I get the chance.